Friday 9 August 2013

John Green-Paper Towns

For my first official book review iv chosen John Green-Paper Towns. I love John Greens writing style he has the power to keep you drawn in with unexpected twists in and always wanting more. I managed to get through my third John Green book in less than 5 days I only put it down when I needed to sleep. In my eyes it is a brilliant read

Firstly, I need to put out there that I don't intend my blog to be a one that gives you the full plot summary of the book (that's what wiki is for) I just wanted to give you an insight into these books along with a few of my thoughts and feelings towards it.

so, here goes...

Quentin Jacobsen and Margo Roth Spiegelman have been friends since they were 2 years old but that changes 7 years down the line when they are 9 years old and playing in their local park and discover a man who has committed suicide, after that day they never spoke again until 9 years on and if you hadn't guessed it Q is madly in love with Margo and she is clueless to it. Margo enlists Q to help her sabotage her ex boyfriend and best friend for cheating on her, it includes plenty of breaking and entering, fish, spray paint and a very naked photo of her ex boyfriend. However, the twist in the story is that Margo goes missing the morning after the missions are complete but leaves Q clues to lead him to her but after days of her missing Q has a feeling in the back of his mind she may of committed suicide. After missing his graduation and a 21 hour road trip him and his friends find her but is she dead or alive? your going to have to read the book to find out!

I think Margo is a lost cause and just needs someone to give her attention and she will do whatever she can to get some, especially from Q and with Q desperate for Margos love he will do anything for her. The way John Green has described Q I have had an image of your typical geeky-ish but not the lamest teenager in school who likes the popular girl who ignores him when she is with her friends but when they are alone the flame of their friendship is alive again just like when they were younger.

My favourite books to read are the ones which have a good love story even though this isn't your typical love story there is one included deep between the lines, ok so it didn't end the way I wanted it to but that's why I'm not a writer I'm just the reader, most of my stories would more than likely end with and they got married had kids and lived happily ever after but that's what makes John Green a brilliant writer he always has different twists and turns in his books and they don't pan out the way you would expect them too.

My favourite part of the book is when they go on a road trip in search of Margo and its the way John Green has written Q's part of describing the minivan like a house. So, without giving too much away I'll leave you with one of my favourite pieces from the book, enjoy!

"I am sitting in the passenger seat, which is the den, this is I think, the best room in the house, scattered about the carpet beneath the seat is the office which contains the map of the United States...the drivers seat, the living room...the centre console or kitchen, we keep a plentiful supply, the first bench seat is the first bedroom the less desirable room because it is close to the kitchen and living room where people are awake and talking and sometimes there is music on the radio...behind is the second bedroom which is darker and quieter and all together superior to the first bedroom...there is much to recommend this house, it is carpeted throughout, it has central air con and heating...admittedly it contains only 55 square feet of living space but you cant beat the open floor plan"

Like Q recommends the minivan I am doing the same to you, if your a one for some mystery and love mixed together this is the book for you, defiantly a big recommendation in my eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment